The first general membership meeting was held on Wednesday, October 23, 1946, with six teachers present. Miss Dora Hershenow was elected president of the group. Teachers from South Bend, Mishawaka, Nappanee, Indiana, and Berrien Center, Michigan were in attendance. There were 30 charter members listed for the 1946-47 opening year.
The organization has changed its name several times over the last 62 years. A Certificate of Incorporation as the South Bend Association of Piano Teacher,s Inc. was obtained on June 6, 1958; reincorporated on April 8, 1981 as the South Bend-Michiana Association of Piano Teachers.
In 1989 the Association voted to become affiliated with the Music Teachers National Association and was called the South Bend Michiana Music Teachers Association. In May, 1996, the name was changed to South Bend Area Music Teachers Association. The group became fully reincorporated in the spring of 1997.
The 50th anniversary was celebrated in 1996-97.
During the year 1994-95 a large monetary gift was given to the Association from the estate of Marcella Hartman, an associate member, in memory of her "dear sister, Elnora Hartman Stickley." The Elnora Stickley Scholarship Fund was established and has benefitted many students and teachers on collegiate and non-collegiate levels.
"To advance the value of music study and music making, to support the professionalism of area music teachers, to provide rewarding performance experiences for area music students, and to serve the regional community by providing a variety of musical programs."
President - Juliana Lockman
Vice President/Programs - Paula Laskowski
Secretary - Bonnie Snyder
Treasurer - Julie Anderson